Re: Good slang/idiom dictionary?

Subject: Re: Good slang/idiom dictionary?
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:50:25 -0700

Rebecca -

The best one I've found thus far is the "New Dictionary of American Slang," by
Robert L. Chapman. There's also a (slightly abridged) version called simply
"American Slang." They both give a lot of etymology, but perhaps not of the
specific nature you're after.

Sometimes you can get some good etymology from a good American dictionary -
such as the Random House version.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

Rebecca Merck wrote:

> I'm looking for a decent slang/idiom dictionary that gives the etymology of
> unusual and slang words and phrases. I've found one so far in a local
> bookstore -- it gives the meaning, but not where the phrase or term comes
> from, which is what I'm after here.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=