[no subject]

From: "Johnson, Dick D" <Dick -dot- Johnson2db8ef -at- PSS -dot- BOEING -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 07:01:20 -0700

By logic, double negatives cancel each other. However this sentence making two statements and almost appears to be two sentences in one. It is awkward, at best and can easily be cleaned up by rewriting it this way (or similar):

"Inaccurate payoffs will NOT be honored."

If it is necessary to say the "Payoff will NOT be accurate", then continue with an explanation of why. Then state with authority the message of not honoring. Remember the message is simply that inaccuracies will not be honored.

It is always best to avoid double negatives, except when quoting someone and this would be closer to creative writing than technical writing.

Dick Johnson

LOn 6/30/99 11:55:16 PM Sue_Helton wrote:

> Easy question for some of you...but I'm tired and this doesn't look
right.
> Is the following double negative correct?
>

> This payoff will NOT be accurate nor honored if:
>
> - Customer sells vehicle to someone other than a dealer
>
> - Customer purchases the vehicle
>

> Thanks!
>
> Sue_Helton -at- mail -dot- bankone -dot- com

Richard D. Johnson Jr. (Dick)
Tech Writer, Software Documentation
425-234-7727, MS 6C-LU

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=