Re: editor, please

Subject: Re: editor, please
From: Robin Hilp <rolybear -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 12:22:10 -0700

>afraid that a user would type *arrgh.* (including the

>period) if we told the user to type "arrgh." instead
>of "arrgh". I think this came from his background
>in programming

In my experience, if you tell the user to type:

"arrgh."

the user types:

"arrgh."

including the period *and* the quotation marks. (I've
field tested this phenomenon in the coding
instructions for three different webrings and the
results have been sadly consistent!)

The surest way, IMHO, to indicate verbatim text is
with a dedicated font -- or, if you're stuck with
ASCII text, blank lines (as I used above).

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=