Re: The telecommuting myth

Subject: Re: The telecommuting myth
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- BROWN-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 20:40:28 -0700

Tim Altom wrote:

> I want people in our company who really love to excel and who bounce ideas
> down the hallway like rubber balls. We had an employee today who came up
> with a tremendously clever idea. Interestingly, she got it while she was
> with us in the office, not at home. We took it and fleshed it out, and it
> became a Simply Written idea. That's the human spirit at play. That's when
> work is more than documentation.

Clever ideas, unline *real* rubber balls, don't actually require hallways to bounce.

We have the same kinds of interaction you describe--with our clients, with contractors who work with our clients, and with other consultants--even when they're in different rooms, different buildings, or different cities.

Human spirit can "play" outside face-to-face meetings. We've found that it does at least as well in the quiet moments that are so rare in many offices.

You have a preference--fine. Just don't be so adamant that your model is the only one that works.

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3.0, still the easiest way to create and maintain
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=