Re: Is Grammar Important?

Subject: Re: Is Grammar Important?
From: Jeroen Hendrix <jhe -at- POLYDOC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:45:26 +0200

Tony Markatos wrote:

> A little bit of grammar knowledge never hurt anyone. Having said that,
> numerous studies have concluded that there is no correlation at all
between
> grammar knowledge and effective technical communications. In fact, too
much
> grammar knowledge can actually hinder communication.

There still seems to be some misunderstandings about what grammar really
is. The recent discussion focused on issues like the proper use of
punctuation and the ultimate sin to end sentences with a preposition.
Issues like these really have nothing to do with grammar, but with
conventions. As I a wrote a few months ago in a similar discussion:

A language is primarily determined by its grammar. The difference between
several languages for instance doesn't lie so much in the different
vocabularies. Vocabularies can change rapidly and even vary per region or
cultural layer. A language is defined in the deepest structures of its
grammar. In this deep structure the differences and commonalties between
languages become apparent. These deep structures determine how a sentence
should be constructed properly in that particular language. These are rules
most of us are never aware off, but do use: everyone will spot an
ill-constructed sentence easily. Only because your internal grammar checker
goes off. Somehow the rules are engraved in your internal linguistic
system. These rules aren't imposed by a few wise men, these rules evolved
through evolution, through centuries, millennia of use. And they are still
evolving. Slowly, but still. This is also the difference between grammar
and spelling/punctuation. The latter are imposed rules or conventions. They
have nothing to do with grammar. Spelling rules are agreed upon and are
only considered valid in a certain period of time.

So, basically, IMHO, the ongoing discussion is not really about grammar,
but about conventions. Its about whether we should or shouldn't follow
these, and how important they really are in every day use. Grammar is
vital, if you don't follow the grammar, your message becomes
incomprehensible. If you don't follow spelling conventions, readers can get
confused. If you want to avoid confusion, try to adhere to the rules. As
communicators we should always try to avoid confusion, shouldn't we?

Just my two eurocents,

Jeroen Hendrix
PolyDoc
the Netherlands