Re: Legal Question

Subject: Re: Legal Question
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:23:13 -0400

This question comes up semi-regularly, doesn't it? Here's my thoughts,
though I am no lawyer:

Agreement or not, the books you write as an employee on company time and
equipment belong to the company. That condition exists for you now (at least
for the US) and really won't change when it is put in writing. Further, I
doubt you will manage to persuade the corporate lawyers to make an exception
in a standard contract, even if your supervisors and managers agree that
your request is reasonable.

Here's what I'd do: keep your portfolio. Be judicious about how you use such
proprietary materials. For example, don't leave them at a potential
employer's site after you leave, or mail them beforehand. Just present such
books, in person, at the time of any interview(s) and take them with you
when done. Don't advertise to the legal owner of the books that you are
using them in such a manner.

Besides, that's what you decided to do anyway, isn't it <vbg>?

All the best (and a tip of the hat to my former employers ;?),

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

<snip>

>>> obtained by me
>>>while employed by
>>>the Company.
>>>
>>>I want to strike out the word "manuals", because if I am
>>>laid off I will
>>>need to show these in my portfolio. Do I have any legal
>>>rights to show the
>>>manuals I've produced for the company? Help, I need some
>>>legal advice fast.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>--Nance
>>>Nancy L. Keller