Re: Active Ownership (and the editorial role)

Subject: Re: Active Ownership (and the editorial role)
From: Jean Weber <jhweber -at- WHITSUNDAY -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:19:49 +1000

The ever-controversial Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- YAHOO -dot- COM> said, among
other things,

>>Editing is a passive process. Editors take pre-formatted information and
clean
it up for presentation. The job of an editor is to improve an existing
structure.<<

To which I reply: yes, sometimes we're passive improvers. But as Melissa
Morgan <mmorgan -at- INTREPID -dot- CDG-HARGRAY -dot- COM> and Chris Kowalchuk
<chris -at- BDK -dot- NET> have pointed out, many editors do a lot more than "improve
an existing structure." In fact, if you asked most of the writers whose
work I've edited if I'm a "passive improver," I suspect they'd burst into
screams of laughter at the idea. I'm only passive when that's what the
client demands (and isn't willing to pay for anything more).

I've met far too many of the sort of writers Andrew described as "editors"
amd Chris calls "rewriters." My only quibble is with calling them "editors"
and thus suggesting that all editing is like that. I rather like the term
"rewriters," as it covers both writers and editors who fill that passive role.

Chris even noted something I've been saying for years (and doing whenever a
client would let me): "A structural/content editor might (in fact, ought
to) be in charge of the overall writing team."

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/
mailto:jhweber -at- whitsunday -dot- net -dot- au

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=