Re: The Telecommuting Myth and ignorant remarks

Subject: Re: The Telecommuting Myth and ignorant remarks
From: Christine Pellar-Kosbar <chrispk -at- MERIT -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:33:00 -0400

Hey,

Tim Altom wrote:

> Whoa now, friends and neighbors. We're obviously talking about two very
> different things.

> I didn't make it explicit what I was talking about: my favorite way of
> working is for a company that emphasizes the process and the team, not the
> product.

and (lots snipped)

>The other side of this is the company that's product-centric, and therefore
>needs defined skills and specs from its people.

Yep, those are two different types of companies, and that's part of the fun of
working. Every business is different, and we can choose where we fit (for now,
anyway).

I am interested, Tim and others who have worked for such synergistic teams,
where the workers' families fit in.
Were they seen as sort of auxiliary parts of the team? Competition for team
resources? Were they seen at all?

While I'm taking my friend the SME's laundry to the cleaners, am I also taking
her kids to soccer practice? I am really interested in how other tech writers
(and engineers) maintain all the relationships of life after they have kids.

BTW, I doubt there is an arbitrary number of hours we could set as needed
"face-time" in order to create synergy. Again, because every company is
different, it depends on a million things in your environment. I think that for

most tech writers, however, working off-site complements time on-site.
Sometimes you really do need to sit down alone and get some reading/writing
done.

Christine Pellar-Kosbar

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=