Re: Index entries for glossary terms

Subject: Re: Index entries for glossary terms
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- BROWN-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:20:59 -0700

"Brierley, Sean" wrote:

> If a glossary term is minor and has no major significance,
> then I do not index it. ...
>
> If a glossary term is important to a topic of great importance ...
> I would index it ...

I prefer to offer the consistency of indexing all the terms--and in hypertext, it's not a matter of saving paper or limiting page count.

I also include "glossary" and "definitions" as index entries. Depending on the delivery format, these may display all terms (in the Topics Found dialog box) or simply link to the top of the glossary.

> Typically, indices take me several days to plan and create; they are not a
> light task. Also, I can expect that reviewers and SMEs skip the index, even
> though I specifically ask for a review of it.

I suppose we've been lucky, in that most of our clients allow plenty of time for indexing. On a particularly large help file for a very complicated application, we've had as much as three weeks between "end of writing" and "hand over to manufacturing" to get the index drafted and reviewed.

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3.0, still the easiest way to create and maintain
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=