Re: Master Docs Word97 and 2000

Subject: Re: Master Docs Word97 and 2000
From: Adria Quinones <adriaq -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 12:35:18 -0400

Frank Clark wrote:

> Also can anyone give a concise summary of the Master Doc problems. I have
> tried to use it a few times in the past and got annoyed but assumed it was
> just my set up. I was wondering what are the understood problems.

Dear Frank,
It's not you, it's Word. Briefly, Master Documents doesn't work. If you're
lucky, then your problems will be limited to problems with styles, but I've had
it completely trash my master and subdocuments. Check the techwrl archives or
the Word list archives for more details, but my recommendation is just don't go
there. It's been broken through three releases of Word; I wouldn't assume that
they've suddenly got it right now.

My current solution is to use the Include File code (others prefer RD). I've
used it on four very large projects with no problems, no loss of information.
But one caveat: if you use Include File, remove the */MERGEFORMAT portion of
the tag. It will cause formatting problems.

Feel free to write if you'd like more information on how I used Include File.

HTH,
Adria Quinones

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=