Re: The Telecommuting myth--the team angle

Subject: Re: The Telecommuting myth--the team angle
From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 12:03:47 -0600

The further we get into this issue the more I think of that old song: "I've
looked at life from both sides now, Won some, lost some, yet somehow. . ."

I've been the dedicated, 60-hour-a-week employee and I've been an
out-the-door-at-5-and-don't-look-back-employee. Now, I fit somewhere in between.

As the dedicated team-player I once worked hard to get a proposal out the door
despite a severe side-ache. Two hours after it shipped I was in surgery having my
appendix out. My husband issued a few ultimatums regarding my priorities and a
year later when the company's finances were tight they said good-bye. The long
hours, face-to-face work, dedication, and even the visionary leadership did not
make that job a true team environment or a committed relationship (on their side).
I soon discovered many of my skills weren't up-to-date (not required by the
company that laid me off) and struggled to find a new job. Lessons learned: 1)
Know your priorities. 2) You need to take care of yourself for your own sake,
your family's sake, AND your company's sake.

As a 40-and-out employee, I realized I was marking hours at one job I had. It
wasn't rewarding, I left. Good decision.

Now, I work 40, sometimes more on my work at work. I love my job, but rather than
always pouring extra hours into it, I put extra hours into learning tools,
expanding skills, etc. The company benefits, but I maintain workplace limits that
keep me healthy and happy. I also know that I'm taking care of myself, my future,
and the commitments that matter most: my marriage and family.

It can certainly be exciting and rewarding to be swept up in a visionary company
and give it your all. Be careful. What do you really have? At the end of my
life, I suspect I'll reflect more on success/failure in my personal relationships
than whether or not that proposal made it on time. YMMV.

As far as teamwork and telecommuting, they aren't mutually exclusive. Last month
we bought a new house. About 8 hours after closing we received word that my
father-in-law had died. My husband and kids left for the east coast and I stayed
to handle the move. All through it I had co-workers (both contractor and
client--INCLUDING TELECOMMUTERS) showing up after work to help me with packing,
transferring, unpacking. This is typical of the way these same people work
together on the job. This is by far the most cohesive team I've ever been a part
of and it has nothing to do with location or working more than 40 hours.

"Team illusions I recall. I really don't know panaceas at all . . ." This place
works and it doesn't fit any formula. Could it be there's no one-size fits all
answer?

Jill Burgchardt
jburgchardt -at- pestilence -dot- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=