Entry level. Tech writer. Intranet. Knowledge Management

Subject: Entry level. Tech writer. Intranet. Knowledge Management
From: Susan Vineyard <vineyard -at- CHEROKEE -dot- NSUOK -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 15:26:22 -0500

Would you like to have my job?

This is an informal announcement.  I'll post formal later.  The job is great for someone with an interest in Intranets and Knowledge Management, and that's where it's going to be in the future.  You'd also be creating help files for Java applets and doing some training. You'd learn a lot about networks.  You'd get to do a lot of creative and artistic stuff.

The two biggest problems are that the pay isn't much--lower 30's and the location is Tahlequah, OK.  That could be good or bad.  It's a really beautiful location with a great river and lake. It's the capitol of the Cherokee nation, so the Native American culture is very strong. Cost of living is very low. If you are just starting out, like a rural lifestyle, have a family and like to fish, this is the place for you!

The job is in a small university, in the Computing and Telecommunication department. I really love the job, but have been hired to full-time faculty.  My office will still be in this building, so if you come here, we'll get to know one another.  It's a small world.  I'm leaving Aug. 10, so they're looking for someone soon.

You must know html pretty well, although you can use a WYSIWYG program.  I use Dreamweaver.
The standard here is Corel Office, not Microsoft.  You may like that or not. I didn't. The current platform is NT.  The standard browser is Netscape.  I also used RoboHelp, Photoshop, Corel Draw and Adobe Acrobat quite a lot.  You also have access to Illustrator, Quark, Pagemaker, scanners, CD burners, etc., and they'll buy you what you need.

You need to have a clue about Knowledge Management and Intranet Management (research and academic knowledge will do.)  You must like to learn new technology and catch on fast.  You need to be detail-oriented, but not so up tight that you can't slap something pretty good together on the fly and get it out there in a hurry, knowing the president of the university, among others, will see it.

Here's a link to NSU's web site.  The server seems to be down right now. Try later.
http://www.nsuok.edu

If you're interested so far, e-mail me.

Susan Vineyard

begin:vcard
n:Vineyard;Susan
tel;work:(918) 456-5511 ext. 5913
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://arapaho.nsuok.edu/~vineyard
org:Northeastern State University;Computing and Telecommunications
adr:;;;Tahlequah;OK;74464;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:vineyard -at- cherokee -dot- nsuok -dot- edu
title:Technical Writer
fn:Susan Vineyard
end:vcard