Re: Telecommuting

Subject: Re: Telecommuting
From: Sella Rush <sellar -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 15:41:57 -0700

>I fear that the main barrier to telecommuting is the reluctance or
>inability of management to break a project down into defined, estimated
>tasks, to the level of detail required, and to make sure they get done (and
>if this is not a project manager's job, what is?). If such a breakdown were
>done, the physical location of the worker would matter a lot less.

Amen John--

I've long felt that the main barrier to telecommuting is lack of training in
the specialized skills required to manage telecommuters.

Although I have little interest in moving into management, I'd love to see
someone start a formal training progam for telecommuter managers. There are
so many monetary advantages for businesses, if they could get over the
management concerns, I bet we'd really see telecommuting take off.

In a quick scan of this thread I see at least three points to address in a
training program:

Establishing and maintaining communication
Hard-core project management (aka Hackos level 5)
Defining the telecommuter personality: hiring for success

I'm sure there are others. Like doing telecommuting cost benefit analyses
for businesses.

I hope someone picks up this opportunity soon--I'd like to take advantage of
the repercussions down the line.

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems (ATS)