Re: Desperately seeking employment...

Subject: Re: Desperately seeking employment...
From: David Castro <thetechwriter -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 13:39:53 -0700

> i have combed the job search websites and sent off resumes and applied
> to recruiting places and i consistently get the response that they "are
> looking for someone with more experience. specifically, 3-5 years more
> experience." <insert appropriate frustrated shreik>

Well, initially, I'd recommend avoiding placement firms (a.k.a. headhunters).
They really aren't willing to spend their time with new talent. I'd go directly
to the companies that advertise their openings. And don't let requirements of a
certain number of years stop you from applying. Let *them* say no, rather than
saying no for them.

Point out in your coverletter that you don't have the number of years, but tell
them why that shouldn't matter to them. Tell them about all of the technologies
you learned about (either in school, through online classes like at ZDNet,
through reading books, through osmosis while working at that one place you
worked, and so on). Offer to show them samples of what you've created. Offer to
create a special sample using the software that their technical writers use.
Offer to take classes in the technologies you'd be documenting. Show them how
gung-ho you are, and it'll help them to overlook the experience you may be
lacking.

Also, consider looking for co-op and internship positions. They may not pay
well, but they give you the experience. And then there are the freebie projects
you can find, such as creating helpfiles for the numerous shareware tools out
there that either don't have any, or that have really bad ones. (You're
probably better off working with the ones that have really bad help, because
then you have a before and after to show). And there's also the open source
software (such as Linux) that needs help from technical writers.

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com
thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=