Re: Desperately seeking employment...

Subject: Re: Desperately seeking employment...
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:38:52 -0700

Have you tried lying?

Seriously. What are they going to do? Take away your birthday. Just start
lying on your resume. Go for entry level or lower end jobs. Ones that want 1 -
3 years experience. Then when you get the job, work you're butt off to make
sure they don't see you're lying. You can always claim 1 year experience.
Heck, you went to school right - that counts for something. That and your
internship - sounds like a year of experience to me.

If you feel morally bothered about lying, just think how morally bothersome
poverty feels. A little lie to get in the door doesn't seem so bad in
comparison to poverty and unhappiness.

If you're smart and resourceful, it doesn't matter how many years experience
you have - you'll do okay. Most interviews and resumes are about illusions, not
real productivity. If you sound good and can follow through on your
commitments - you'll be fine.

I would not bother with the big agencies and headhunters. They have rigid
requirements that all humans must meet. You might want to stay away from
really big companies as well. I also think big companies are a waste. They
have too many rules and regulations that inhibit people from learning new
things. Big companies are also infested with parasitic writers who complain and
grumble constantly. If you have the misfortune of working with one of these
dinosaurs, they'll sap away your will to live.

Mentoring programs are a great way to meet intolerant egomaniacs who will pound
their singular vision of the universe into your head. As for volunteer work,
not a bad idea. But let's face it, you need money.

A small company is an ideal place to get started. Many small start-ups are
willing to give an entry level person a chance if you sell yourself well. You
might have to take a lame salary (ask for stock!), but you have so many more
opportunities to learn new things. If you can make it at a small company, you
can make it anywhere.

Good luck.

Andrew Plato
President / Principal Consultant
Anitian Consulting, Inc.

--- Beth Davy <bethdavy -at- CANADA -dot- COM> wrote:
> hi,
> i am going through the exciting process that is job-searching, but here
> is
> my prob:
> i just graduated with a BA in english and worked last summer at a
> software
> company doing some tech writing and online help (robohelp) but that is
> really only 4 months experience.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=