Re: JavaHelp

Subject: Re: JavaHelp
From: Peterson Karen <Peterson_Karen -at- PRC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:45:01 -0400

Martha asked, "Is anyone using JavaHelp to develop help and context
sensitive help?"

Dear Martha,

I did some work with the beta version of JavaHelp. Unless they made major
changes before they released it, I do not recommend this product. It was
designed to be freeware, and you get what you pay for.

You have to create the directory structure yourself using XML. The help
files themselves are HTML, but the viewer does not support the latest
version of HTML (4.0?).

Their search feature is not context sensitive--it only finds occurrences of
the word. You might be able to do something to make it context sensitive,
but from what I read in the user manual, this is difficult.

Good luck with what you do use!
Karen

"I used to answer 30 to 40 calls a day from people asking what 'Apply
liberally' meant," said Carla Enway, an operator for Coppertone. "My job
has been a lot easier since we changed the bottle to read, 'Spread a
whole bunch all over everything but your eyes and mouth.'"
--The Onion, 9 June 1999

Karen Peterson
Peterson_Karen -at- prc -dot- com
610.260.2644