Re: WP 2000

Subject: Re: WP 2000
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- HOME -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:46:15 -0400

Chris,
SP-1 is due sometime around July 22. I am glad the WP 2000 is working
for you. Some of the known problems that exist that might affect your
use are deal with slow loading, PDF conversions, (doesn't convert
cleanly even when you convert to postscript fonts first,) and table
sorting (if there is a blank line in the table, an attempt to sort will
cause an endless cycling that can only be stopped with a reboot. (I
personally demonstrated this to Corel at PC Expo.) BTW I use v 8 and
have been using WP as my primary production wp program since v 3.0. I
also have MS Word only because I needed Excel and Powerpoint for some
applications. If you run into problems E-Mail me off list and I will try
to steer you to the proper Corel list.

Peter

Chris Kowalchuk wrote:

> Peter, just a note about WP 2000, with reference to your "roll your own
> manuals" comments.
>
> I've got it now, and I must say, conceptually at least, I really like
> it. Having acknowledged that wpd. format is no longer a standard, Corel
> has gone to great lengths to make WP 2000 a general editing interface.
> It reads Word 97 files almost natively (I have confirmed this), and
> writes them back out again pretty well too, and has both an HTML and XML
> editing mode.
>
> Your comments about it being an intial release are well taken, however,
> and although I haven't encountered any big problems yet, I haven't put
> it through it's paces either (come to think of it, there were some
> quirky code additions when setting up styles, but nothing I couldn't
> tweak back into shape). One thing I've always liked about WordPerfect is
> that no matter how buggy a release is, you can usually get under the
> hood and fix problems yourself if you are so inclined (the glorious
> "reveal codes"), at least in any given document. I wouldn't get so PO'd
> with Microsoft if they would just admit their mistakes more readily and
> give you a way to deal with them. That smarmy "we've already thought of
> everything for you, so you don't have to think of anything" attitude is
> a real pain. Yeah, yeah, just let me edit the codes....
>
> Chris Kowalchuk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=