Re: Window displays?

Subject: Re: Window displays?
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:40:21 -0400

On 7/14/1999 8:13 PM, Geoff Hart (Geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca) wrote:

>It's both grammatically correct and has been for
>some years (have a look at a good dictionary) and more
>importantly (_pace_ our recent discussions), it follows current
>usage, which makes it familiar to our audiences.

The "grammatically correct" part of "The ABC window displays" seems to be
a matter for discussion, but I've been tech. writing for over 12 years
and have not encountered that usage. All usage I've enountered, both from
colleagues and the current editions of the style guides from Apple,
Microsoft, and (I think) Sun support "The ABC window appears." Can you
please provide where "displays" used in this context is "current usage,"
for all of our benefit?

Thanks,
----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=