Re: Who's Job is it to Layout a Book?

Subject: Re: Who's Job is it to Layout a Book?
From: Ginna Dowler <gdowler -at- QUESTERCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:31:24 -0700

Jim Grey wrote:

> Everywhere I've ever worked as a tech writer (all three software companies),
> design (book and online) fell to either the writer or to another writer within
> the department specially assigned to create page designs. In all cases, when
> the design was final, it was each writer's responsibility to lay out their own
> work within that design.

If what you mean by design is "full template in Frame (or Word etc.)",
then I agree with you. BUT I've been in a situation in my last company
where they hired a graphic designer to come up with new designs for
everything we did that was printed. They looked great in the samples he
gave us, but they were all mock-ups in Illustrator -- not templates. I
then had to take his design and try to use it. I spent weeks trying to
replicate his complex page layout in Frame in a way I could actually
use. (And then butted heads with him because I couldn't follow it
*exactly*.)

My advice is that if a graphic designer is going to design a layout,
that's great, but work with them so that you end up with something you
can really use.

--
Ginna Dowler - Technical Writer

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=