Re: Acrobat Help Files?

Subject: Re: Acrobat Help Files?
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- CARRIERACCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:29:14 -0600

I personally don't like PDF as a delivery format. It strikes me as cheap,
lazy, and technophobic. It's designed like a printed page, but it's
delivered online. IMO, online help needs to be quick and to the point.

Online help is a last resort for users. When I write online help, I assume
I'm writing to someone who has tried about fifteen things on their own,
maybe checked a manual, and asked a coworker; all with no luck. I know this
isn't always the case, but I know I tend to get a little cheesed off when an
interface is designed in such a way that I can't just intuit what I need to
know. And this is probably illogical and all, but I am pretty much steaming
by the time I press F1. All I want is the answer. Right away. I don't want
to wait for Acrobat to open, and I really don't want to page through some
electronic representation of a paper manual.

There are a number of routes you could go, but if the stuff you're
documenting is web-based already, you may want to stick with straight-up
HTML Strict. It's OK to be a little ahead of the curve on your tags, as long
as you test your docs in a bunch of different browsers and ensure that they
degrade gracefully and look OK no matter what your platform, browser, or
version.

Lisa.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=