User-maintained docs

Subject: User-maintained docs
From: Jennifer Delmerico <Jennifer -dot- Delmerico -at- TSTNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:13:23 -0400

I am having NO LUCK searching the archives, but I know this topic has been
discussed here before. My apologies. If you can give me some good keywords
to search for, I'll try the archives again. In the meantime...

We provide our customers with soft-copy of the user manual because our
customers aren't actually the end-users, and they like to "customize," which
in the past has only meant adding their name to the footer and adding their
corporate logo to the title page.

However, we've just gotten a new customer who wants to customize the
HTML-based help (uncompiled) that we deliver with our browser product. The
big-wigs here are probably going to allow this, so my problem becomes HOW?!
I'm having a meeting early next week to discuss all implications.

Here are some of the issues I'd like some help with. I would love to hear
from you if your company allows user-maintained documents in any format, or
if you think you can help me at all.
* How do you establish version control. Who has the latest version of the
documents?
* How do you deal with enhancements or bug-fixes to customized docs?
* How do you maintain quality? I don't have to worry that my name will be
on these docs, because our customers add their name to the docs shipped to
the end-user. Should I not even care if the quality of my docs is
destroyed? What if I receive a customized file from my customer, and
they've changed the document in a way that it is either no longer true or
ambiguous...is it my position to edit their work?
* What other issues have I not considered?

Thanks!
Jennifer

Jennifer Delmerico, Sr. Tech Writer
TST, Inc.
Atlanta, GA USA
770-446-3211
jennifer -dot- delmerico -at- tstnet -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=