Re: Making Figure numbers reflect chapter number in Word97

Subject: Re: Making Figure numbers reflect chapter number in Word97
From: Mary McWilliams Johnson <mary -at- SUPERCONNECT -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 12:32:20 -0500

I'm having a problem that seems to be baffling the Help Desk. I've had
three Help Desk agents (at Software Spectrum) working on this for three
days, with no success.

I'm using Word97. I'm numbering my paragraphs, using the outline numbering
scheme. I've set up the numbering using "Format > Style," and I've also
tried just using "Format > Bullets and Numbering." In any event, here's my
numbering scheme:

7 - Heading 1
7.1 - Heading 2
7.1.1 - Heading 3
7.1.1.1 - Heading 4

I insert the caption like this:
- Select Insert > Caption
- Select either "Figure" or "Table"
- Click the "Numbering" button
- Select "1,2,3" for "Format"
- Check "Include chapter numbering"
- Select "Heading 1" for "Chapter starts with style"
- Select "hypen" for "Use separator"
- Click "OK"

Now, I know this is supposed to result in something like:
Figure 7-1
But what I get is usually:
Figure 0-1

Not always. Sometimes it actually works. I've created several chapters for
this book. Two of the chapters insert the caption numbers correctly. The
others don't.

Please help. What could produce different results when I've created the
chapters in the same manner?

Cordially, Mary McWilliams Johnson
McJohnson Communications
Documentation / Web Site Design, Development and Graphics
http://www.superconnect.com
We make a living by what we get.
We make a life by what we give.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=