Re: Senior Tech Writers Needed in San Ramon, CA.

Subject: Re: Senior Tech Writers Needed in San Ramon, CA.
From: Chuck <writer -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:46:30 -0700

This is just another example of the maxim: it depends.

Just look at two examples: one PH.D. in English who understands some of
the qualifications that a good technical writer needs, another who had
to "clean up" the mess left by another Ph.D. I can assume that the
original reaction was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's
back," a response to a perception of another clueless HR person. I have
had plenty of experience with those, as have some of the recruiters I've
worked with. Still, there are people in the technical writing industry
who came here with English or Journalism degrees--especially when
technical writing degrees and certificates are a fairly recent
innovation in many areas.

There is a process of ongoing education here too. Many HR people, as
well as many engineering managers, don't see technical writing as an
engineering discipline. As a result, it might not be on their mind that
a Technical Communication degree might be available, so they look toward
what their experience says is the closest thing. Heck, when I purchased
my class ring and wanted an emblem representing my degree, the
salesperson was totally clueless, and I had to create a kludge.

At my school (the University of Washington), the Technical Communication
department (at the time of my graduation, 1993, one of only three
full-fledged TC departments in the country) is part of the Engineering
school, not Arts & Sciences. Degree requirements include a solid core of
both English and technical competencies. Another plus side is that it is
not a requirement of students in the other engineering disciplines to
take at least one basic TC class before graduation.

On more than one occasion I have started a job and have found that the
expectation of a technical writer was to "just write." In time, I was
able to demonstrate a skill set far beyond "just" writing, a skill set
that adds a much larger value to the development team. I can do design
of documents, both print and online. I can help evaluate and design the
UI, and can uncover usability bugs. I can choose the right tools and
technologies (especially in the cutting-edge world of online Help
technologies) to get the job done right. I can (at least to some extent)
talk the language of programmers because I have taken a number of
programming classes.

I am by far not the only one with a full set of technical writing tools,
tools that go far beyond "just" writing.

I can understand the visceral reaction to a post that seems to not
exhibit that understanding. I have reacted the same way at times.
Usually, though, I vent at my recruiter, or sometimes co-workers.
meanwhile, the education process continues, slowly.

--
"[Programmers] cannot successfully be asked to design for users
because...inevitably, they will make judgments based on the

Chuck Martin
writer"at"best.com www.writeforyou.com

*****LEGAL NOTICE TO ALL BULK E-MAILERS*****

NOTICE TO BULK EMAILERS: Pursuant to US Code, Title 47,
Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any and all nonsolicited
commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a
download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US.
E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=