Logo fatigue?

Subject: Logo fatigue?
From: Geoff Hart <Geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:46:23 -0400

Henry Vandelinde is <<...preparing an installation manual
and the client is somewhat taken with the company logo. In
other words, he wants it everywhere. I prefer to limit its use.
The logo is tasteful and unobtrusive, but I'd rather to restrict it
to the cover page.>>

I don't think you're going to have much luck with the "logo
fatigue" argument; I don't doubt that you're right, but I don't
think this has likely been a burning issue in the research
community. If you wanted to try anecdotal evidence, ask the
client what he thinks about the former Soviet practice of
having Stalin's photo everywhere, the (former?) Chinese
practice of having Mao's picture everywhere, and so on.
Maybe he'll get the point.

In the meantime, could you negotiate a compromise? If the
manual has several chapters, and the logo is as tasteful as you
say, you might get away with it only on the chapter title page.
Going a little further down the road, could you use it as part
of the running footer, suitably reduced in size (to say about
10-point type)? Could you screen it at 10% and use it as a
watermark?

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Though the editor is the author's ally, she should never forget that
she is also the reader's first line of defense."--Shoshanna Green

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=