policies, practices, procedures

Subject: policies, practices, procedures
From: Bill Smith <cybersmith -at- ZIANET -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 19:26:32 -0600

Can anyone tell me a good general book on writing policies, practices, and
procedures? I've written lots of procedures (both user manuals and company
procedures). But I'd like feedback on how the three types of documents are
related (and different).

I'm not sure I see a whole lot of difference difference between a "practice"
(which means "how somethings is done" or the established method for doing
something) and a procedure (which means step-by-step instructions for doing
something). A policy, in my mind, is higher-level, more abstract. My
dictionary says it's a "course of action adopted," but I think of it as more
of a concept or guideline that a company has adopted: for example, "This
company will not tolerate sexual harrassment of any kind." I welcome any
comments that would help clarify these terms.

Thanks,
Bill

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=