Re: From Print to Online??

Subject: Re: From Print to Online??
From: Kathi Jan Knill <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- TEMPLATE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:48:38 -0500

For creating online doc from Framemaker doc, I have used the
Adobe Acrobat to create pdf files and then I put the appropriate
links into the pdf files directly. It is a very user friendly
software
product, so it would not be hard for you to pick up. The only
drawback is
that pdf files can only be read using Adobe Reader -- of course
the Reader
is a free download from the Adobe site so that really shouldn't
be an issue
(I just included it because some people have indicated that it
was an issue
for them). Easiest method is for you to provide the reader to
your customer
on the media in which you present the help file(s).
The nice thing about the pdf files is that they print just like
pages that
Framemaker would print -- and you don't need a specific printer.

For turning Framemaker files into online help, a nice product
that is also easy to pick up since you know Frame, is Quadralay's
Web Works Publisher. It allows you to create HTML Help, WinHelp,
JavaHelp, etc. You can get more information and an evaluation
copy at their website: www.quadralay.com

If you don't get a lot of responses to your posting, I'd suggest
checking the archives. I am sure that this question has come up
before.
Good luck.

Kathi Jan Knill
Senior Technical Writer
Template Software
Kathi -dot- Knill -at- Template -dot- com
"Your mind can only hold one thought at a time. Make it a
positive and constructive one." --H. Jackson Brown, Jr.