advice for starting grad school?

Subject: advice for starting grad school?
From: Julie Boskey <jboskey -at- WHEELS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:02:13 -0500

Hello - I saw a few somewhat similar questions in the archives, but
the answers weren't too helpful (for me)....

I have been a tech writer for over 4 years, and this fall I am
planning to start graduate school at the Illinois Institute of
Technology for a masters in Technical Communication and Information
Design. Currently I am enrolled as a non-degree student, as I still
have to take the GRE and submit letters of recommendation. I feel like
I am plunging into the great unknown with all of this.

My questions are - Has anyone on the list taken classes or gotten a
masters at IIT? Any advice, recommendations on classes/professors?

Also, is it appropriate to ask my current manager to write a letter of
recommendation for me? I work for a consulting company as one of the
few tech writers they have. This manager knows my consulting
assignments, etc., but has no background in tech writing.

Thanks very much for any and all advice you can provide!
Julie

jboskey -at- wheels -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=