Re: QUERY: File associations

Subject: Re: QUERY: File associations
From: Bev Lockhart <bl -at- SEATTLELAB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:22:44 -0700

The sick thing is, that check box is selected by default! Never, ever, do
that.... to change it back is absolute hell!

I accidentally left that selected one time (in Windows 95), and it was the
wrong program to open the file with; it took me FOREVER to tell Windows not
to do that ever again!

(okay, "reconfigure Windows 95 so it would not longer do that"!)

~~~~ Bev Lockhart, Doc Editor

At 04:55 PM 7/27/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I'm currently writing a tutorial for a Windows-based product. While
>performing some functions, this product writes log files (with the extension
>'.log') to its log directory. I have to document how to view these log
>files.
>
>the procedure goes something like:
>
>1. From the Tools menu, choose "View Logs". The Logs folder opens.
>2. Double-click the log file that you want to view.
> * If the LOG extension is associated with a program,
> then the log file opens in that program.
> * If there is no such association, Windows opens the
> "Open With" dialog box. In this dialog box, select
> a suitable text editor (for example, Notepad) ...
>
>One of the SMEs insists that I instruct the users to check "Always use this
>program to open files of this type". However, this worries me because it
>changes things for the whole operating system (not just for the product).
>IMO, I should tell the users the purpose of this check box and leave them to
>make the final decision.
>
>What do you think?
>
>TIA,
>
>Geoff Lane