Cross-references

Subject: Cross-references
From: Kathi Jan Knill <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- TEMPLATE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:35:39 -0500

This is my first posted question (although I have responded to
some posts) so if it isn't on point, please forgive, and answer
off-line.

I was wondering what the consensus is on how often
cross-references should be used in printed doc.?

I've seen doc that has as many as 5 cross-references on a page (8
1/2 x 11) and then again I've seen doc that has hardly any. I
tend to find that it is very distracting to have a lot of
cross-references on a page when I am trying to read. (BTW, I am
not talking about referencing a table or figure, I mean those
references that say "see chapter such and such, for more info on
blah, blah, blah.)

I am not sure if I am just picky. I recognize the benefit of
cross-referencing, so please don't slam me on that. I am in no
way suggesting that it not be used, just wondering how much it
should be used. Is there a rule? A norm?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Kathi Jan Knill
Sr. Technical Writer
Template Software
Kathi -dot- Knill -at- Template -dot- com
You have to do what you love to do,
not get stuck in that comfort zone of
a regular job. Life is not a dress rehearsal.
This is it.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=