Re: Converting files from CATIA

Subject: Re: Converting files from CATIA
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:10:31 -0400

Hallo:

With Mastercam and VisiCAD/CAM software, I could always save to WMF, DWG,
IGES. (I do understand the tiering of the products you are discussing.)

WMF, DWG, and IGES should be widely supported by the DTP industry. However,
there is a reason CATIA and other such formats are somewhat proprietary:
they need to include a tonne more information than the standard WMF has.
Thus, a simple conversion may take a while or cost a bundle, as you found
out.

Finally, if the DTP'er has the CAD/CAM application on their workstation, you
could use something like OLE to insert a linked object into the DTP
software. Does this work for you?

All the best.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

P.S. why don't you give the respective CAD/CAM manufacturers a call and ask
their tech writers how they include geometry in their books?

http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/topics.htm

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=