Re: Reformat PDF for online info./don't replace WinHelp!

Subject: Re: Reformat PDF for online info./don't replace WinHelp!
From: "Mark X. Dempsey" <mxd2 -at- OSI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 12:31:49 -0700

Why to avoid Bristol Hyper-Help:

1. It crashes when it encounters *.xwd (UNIX *.bmp's) files. Since one
of Bristol's selling points is that it takes FrameMaker files, and *.xwd
is Frame's native UNIX screenshot format....(You may not want graphics
in your help system, then, no problem.)

2. It supports an older hlp format, not the one I tried using ForeHelp
3.0

3. It costs a bomb ($20K! I'm told)

4. Webworks makes a perfectly acceptable cross-platform/cross-browser
HTML-based help system from Frame files (see
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Senate/1059/helpfrm.html). Webworks
translates all graphics to gifs & jpgs without a peep, so if you ever
want them, you can have them.

5. Bristol still hasn't responded to my request for a refund because of
#1.

--
Regards,

-- mailto:Mark -dot- Dempsey -at- osi -dot- com
--
-- Mark Dempsey
-- Technical Publications

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=