[no subject]

From: Brian Clements <bclements -at- FPIX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:18:43 -0500

Those of you who think blaming management in this case is mere scapegoating:
what would you have ANON do? Hijack projects from other writers? Insist on
more challenging projects from a manager who is obviously predisposed not to
assign projects to anyone who hasn't completed that kind of project before?
I'm appaled at several demonstrative posts on this thread which accuse
writers of being irresponsible, whiney, or even children just because they
are having trouble working through limitations imposed on them by their
managers. I am a manager of a documentation department, and I shudder to
think I would ever be perceived as being that irresponsive to my employees'
careers. Yes, it is possible to manage a dept. successfully, get the job
done, AND care about your writers' careers and lives.

On the other hand, we don't have many objective facts about ANON's work over
that first year. Maybe ANON was a bad proofer, in which case I couldn't
blame ANON's manager for not assigning better projects or, much less,
promoting ANON.

Brian Clements
Documentation Manager
fpix, inc.