Re: More About Word Processors/Publishers (was Word 2000 numbering)

Subject: Re: More About Word Processors/Publishers (was Word 2000 numbering)
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- SLIP -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 09:58:42 -0700

At 02:07 PM 8/1/99 -0500, Rd Phillip wrote about specifying limits for
automatic character spacing:

>FrameMaker: Relative to Version 5.5.6, I am unable to locate any means by
>which to set the limits of its automatic character spacing adjustments. If
>this preliminary determination is correct, I consider it a severe
>shortcoming of the program. Comments on this point are welcome.

This has been an available option in FrameMaker for the last several
releases. It is not, however, a global setting for an entire document,
which may be why you did not find it. You specify the setting for each
paragraph style you define. To do this, go to the Advanced tab of the
Paragraph Designer. You will find a section labelled Word Spacing (% of
Standard Space), in which you can specify threshholds for character
spacing, along with a checkbox for enabling Letterspacing for paragraphs
that use that tag. You can specify percentages for Minimum, Maximum and
Optimum spacing. You will also see a note that says the default spacing is
.34 em.

Hope this is useful information,
martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Hillel, "Mishna, Sayings of the Fathers 1:13"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=