Re: More About Word Processors/Publishers

Subject: Re: More About Word Processors/Publishers
From: Rd Phillip <rdphillip -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 13:23:45 -0500

Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- SLIP -dot- NET> wrote:

>To do this, go to the Advanced tab of the
>Paragraph Designer. You will find a section labelled Word Spacing (% of
>Standard Space), in which you can specify threshholds for character
>spacing, along with a checkbox for enabling Letterspacing for paragraphs
>that use that tag.

I believe the adjustments you're describing are applied to the spaces
between words, not spaces between characters. Framemaker does indeed
provide automatic character spacing ("Letter Spacing"), but the degree to
which it adjusts these letter spaces when justifying text cannot be defined
by the user. This means that the user is confined to preset limits
regarding letter spacing. If these limits are inappropriate for narrow
columns (often the case), the user is left with no feasible means by which
to resolve the resultant cosmetic problems. That's particularly true in a
longer document. Tedious line by line adjustment of character spacing (as
is required in Word under these circumstances) simply isn't practical.

Incidentally, I should probably mention that FrameMaker's automatic letter
spacing performs much better than many programs I've tried. Nevertheless,
the inability to modify this function seems an oversight, particularly in
view of the options made available within the program for word spacing.

Again, I'm a relatively new user. Let me know if you think I'm overlooking
something.

Regards,
RD

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=