Re: Which job boards for which areas of the country?

Subject: Re: Which job boards for which areas of the country?
From: Denise Fritch <dfritch -at- INTELLICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 09:28:05 -0700

Morning David,

> I'd like to know which job boards are used by the different parts of the
> country. For example, DICE.com is a great place to look for jobs
> on the West
> coast, but the middle and eastern portion of the U.S. are not
> well represented.
> I'm specifically looking for the Seattle, Denver, and RTP areas,
> but wouldn't mind knowing about others, too!

I would really propose you look at two separate lists. One list of web job
boards would be jobs obtained through an agency (DICE is an excellent
example). The second list would include jobs direct from the employer. That
second list would include the national and local STC jobs lists, company web
site job lists, and some of the newer Internet sites where companies list
their open jobs.

Personally, after several months of dealing with agencies, I'm going to
stick with the second type of listing. I've had a number of very bad
experiences with agencies. Three agencies set me up with interviews before
calling me to even learn whether I wanted to work at the company with the
open position. I've been sent to interviews where the job was not posted to
a company's web site and the agency did not have information about the job
requirements. One agent, I discovered a week later, cancelled a follow-up
interview because the interviewing company was "dragging their feet and
taking too long". One San Francisco agency insists upon interviewing writers
before sending them on interview. Fine. Except the interview time I was
given was apparently then assigned to someone else, and that agency has
refused to set up another appointment. Yesterday I had a call from yet
another agent with a technical writing position that involved reading
electronic schematics and RF signal work. My resume shows 15 plus years of
software technical writing, no hardware writing, and I have no electronics
background. I'm wondering whether these agents really read the resumes.

Best,

Denise L. Fritch

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=