Re: Strunk and White

Subject: Re: Strunk and White
From: Roy Jacobsen <rjacobse -at- GREATPLAINS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 14:43:05 -0500

Personally, I don't have a problem with Strunk and White, other than the
fact that it deals almost entirely on _surface_ issues of writing, and it
takes a "micro" view, at that, dealing primarily with "do I choose this word
or that?" sort of things. It's good for clearing up confusion over things
like "which v. that."

When the view widens to issues like organization, you get platitudes like
#12. "Choose a suitable design and hold to it." They offer absolutely no
insight into what a suitable design might be for any specific purposes; not
so much as a general principle.

If you're after something with a bit more breadth, Joseph Williams' _Style_
might fill the bill. A more philosopical look at "style" is _Clear and
Simple as the Truth_ by Francis-Noel Thomas and Mark Turner. Both are
available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble, so I reckon you can also order
them through your friendly local book seller.

Roy M. Jacobsen
Documentation Supervisor
Great Plains
1701 38th Street Southwest