Re: LISTSERV and STC

Subject: Re: LISTSERV and STC
From: Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 08:28:00 -0500

Just some more data for the discussion.

For the past two years I've been a member of a list which requires a paid
subscription. The dues are $30/year (yes, that's not a typo, and so far I've
been willing to pony it up for that list, for a couple of reasons -- if
you're
interested in why, contact me off-list -- the whys aren't really germane
here).

List traffic on that list averages 50+ per day, and the subscription list is
far below this one in size (I see perhaps 30-40 different addresses in that
pile of 50 messages). But it can work (that one, BTW, is run on Majordomo
software). The list traffic is just as likely to be off-topic as this one
(perhaps even a little more so at times) but it also is on-track and
helpful.

Something to be considered: If the list goes subscription, it should
probably
be closed (only subscribers can post) and the BITNET feed should probably be
cut. Otherwise you risk the wrath of list members who feel they're paying
for
content and services that others are getting for free. Here in the US that's
capital offense (the double entendre is wholly intentional, I assure you).
Also, you'll probably want to offer "30-day free trial" subscriptions (the
list
I'm on does that with very little abuse, after all, you have to give your
real
name to subscribe) in the place of the open samples on BITNET.

At the same time, there are some other ramifications. Anonymous members will
have their cover blown as Eric processes their payments. This won't blow
their
cover to the list at large, just to the listowner. I don't see that as a
problem, but some might so I raise it here.

Also, Deb and Eric will inherit the labor-intensive task of tracking
subscriptions, sending warning notices when the renewal time is near/past,
and
various other overhead tasks associated with collecting and processing fees.
At
the end of the day, they'll have to decide if $5 is worth the extra duty.
Speaking for myself only, I'd probably say no, but then I'm not the one
who'd
be doing it, so my opinion on that particular subject ain't worth much.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=