Re: Repost - How do servers and browsers treat unknown extensions? (long)

Subject: Re: Repost - How do servers and browsers treat unknown extensions? (long)
From: Sergej Rinc <info -at- SINONIM -dot- SI>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 15:50:08 +0200

Check
http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/3.0/handbook/javascript/advtopic.htm#10
12507 (Determining installed plug-ins)

Basically, you can write a script and check if your plugin application
with your MIME type extension or defined name is available and if not
redirect your user to your download page (if it is, you redirect your user
to your file or offer a link). I think that should work in Internet Explorer
4 (instead of navigator.plugins you would use window object but I cannot
remember how, find more on
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/obj_window
.asp#obj_window). For JavaScript I suggest you download, print and staple
Danny Goodman's excellent reference:

ftp://ftp12.ba.best.com/pub/dgoodman/NS4_Obj.pdf

Hope that helps.

Sergej Rinc, Doc-To-Help Certified Trainer
Tehnical Director, Sinonim d.o.o.
Member, International Webmasters Association http://iwanet.org
Prekorje 49, 3211 Skofja vas, faks/BBS +386 63 411 448