Re: Page numbering within a Section

Subject: Re: Page numbering within a Section
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 10:57:29 -0400

Cirrus:

Great. Would you be willing to go as high as $20? Do you have any
reservations about free list servers (such as OneList)?

>>>Second, is there a way to do the following page numbering,
>>>assuming we're
>>>working with a Section 1:
>>>
>>>1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-3.1, 1-3.2, 1-4...and so on?

Yes. Autonumber the chapter/section title using a background-colored number,
if needed. The chapter/section title *must* have a Word default heading
style (heading1 . . . heading9).

After you insert the page number, you can select the page number and format
it to include chapter number . . . pick the heading# you used.

Oh, that doesn't get you the .1, .2, etc. Let me think about that. In the
footer, eh?

>>>I'm seriously at my wit's end in Word; I'm open to other application
>>>suggestions.

Are you kidding. Get ready for the email . . . <vbg>.

Seriously, I recommend you consider two alternatives very seriously: Adobe
FrameMaker and Corel Ventura Publisher. At least, for the PC. For tech
writing on the Mac, I can only recommend FrameMaker. You *might* also want
to look into Interleaf, if you are feeling rich <g>. FrameMaker is my weapon
of choice an has been for a while (which is why I cannot, this minute, come
up with the answer for what you seek).

All the best.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com