Fwd: 'Autonumbering series' in Word? - Solution

Subject: Fwd: 'Autonumbering series' in Word? - Solution
From: Carol Kiparsky <carol -dot- kiparsky -at- INXIGHT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 14:37:20 -0700

Thanks to all of you who replied. I ended up using the Insert > Caption
feature, which works like a charm to replicate the functionality familiar
to frame users as 'autonumber series'. Somehow it did not occur to me to
look up the word 'caption' in the help index. Someone recommended using
the SEQ field, and I will remember this if I find a situation where the
caption feature doesn't work.

Carol

>Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 08:34:32 -0700
>Sender: "Technical Writers List; for all Technical Communication issues"
>From: Carol Kiparsky <carol -dot- kiparsky -at- inxight -dot- com>
>Subject: 'Autonumbering series' in Word?
>To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
>
>I use Framemaker extensively, and MSWord rarely, so I apologize if this is
>a question with an obvious answer . I have a document with autonumbered
>headings (1, 1.1, etc. ) . I wish to define some numbered paragraphs which
>are not headings, such as Figure. These should be numbered independently
>of the section headings. E.g.:
>
> 3. Third major section
> 3.1. subsection
> Figure 57. (NOT: Figure 3.1.1)
> 4. Fourth major section
> Figure 58
>
>In Framemaker I can simply assign one series label (H:) to the headings of
>all levels, and another to Figure (F:). How do I get this effect in MS
Word?

>Thanks,
>
> Carol Kiparsky
> Inxight Software, Inc.