Re: Using voice/speech-recognition software

Subject: Re: Using voice/speech-recognition software
From: Gerry Gaffney <Gerry -at- INFODESIGN -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 20:47:03 +1000

I used IBM's Via Voice on an Pentium 150 about a year ago.

The machine was underpowered for the task, so recognition was quite slow.

I found the performance pretty good, but didn't do any measures of
percentage of mistaken words or the like, largely because I expected the
software to get better once I had 'trained' it as recommended in the
documentation.

To my surprise the recognition level got worse after training, so I ended up
un-installing the software.

Other people have told me they got excellent results with Via Voice, so I've
tended to put it down to running under-powered hardware.

Incidentally, Ben Schneidermann asks his audiences how many people have used
voice recognition software, and how many people currently use it. At the
session I attended in Melbourne, about half the audience had used it; none
were current users. Schneidermann says he's found the same results even in
the most technologically sophisticated audiences.

- Gerry

_____________________
Gerry Gaffney
Information & Design