"No way I'm PAYING for this service!" -- Be realistic

Subject: "No way I'm PAYING for this service!" -- Be realistic
From: DHICKEY -at- ALIS -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:30:08 -0400

Greetings!

The messages have been flowing ever since the announcement that the Age of
Innocence was coming to an end. Personally, I had no idea it would cost so
much to run a list like this and I certainly never understood how Eric and
Deb were able to run this list by themselves and still have time to make a
living (there are times when I wonder *why* they put up with all 4000 of us
at all).

Overall, the response to subsidizing the list has been good, but frankly,
I'm surprised at some of the negative responses. Basically it came down to:
"I'm not parting with one red cent to pay for this service! Why should I?
It's been free until now and if it's going to cost something now, there must
be some fascist plot brewing." Give it a rest, Holmes. There's no game afoot
here.

Until now, Eric and Deb have been footing the bill for the rest of us. Now
that it's no longer feasible to do so, anyone who has learned something from
this list for free should be able to make some kind of donation in
recognition. I know my bacon's been saved a dozen times by the list 'cause I
just didn't know the answer to a conundrum.

But if you still feel that you shouldn't have to pay for the list, that's
fine. But out of some modicrum of respect for the people who have run this
list out of the goodness of their professional hearts, don't slap them in
the face by shouting "FOUL" that you have to now make some kind of
contribution.

And that was all I had to say on that. It was better than my Bionic Bigfoot
post, but I thought that got a smile from some folks...
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
John David Hickey
Montreal, Quebec, Canada eh?

dhickey -at- alis -dot- com
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/
wk: 514-747-2542 ext.: 317
pg: 514-205-9209

They say that the pen is mightier than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
Don't confuse my opinion with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=