ADMIN: Changes, directions, and decisions

Subject: ADMIN: Changes, directions, and decisions
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:04:35 -0600

Gang,
At the beginning of this week, we approached you folks
with the announcement that TECHWR-L will soon need to
move from its current location at Okstate. Taking your
input into account, we have come up with the following
solution, which we feel will offer all of us continued
quality and flexibility necessary to participate and
manage a list of this size and traffic.

KEEP TECHWR-L FREE
Our goal is to keep both the list and the site
as free resources for individuals to use as they need.
That is, although we have asked for individual donations
and now offer corporate sponsorships and ad space, we will
continue to make the list and site free to its subscribers
and visitors.

MOVE TO A DEDICATED SERVER
For those interested, here's what we're arranging for:
* A dedicated server (a high-end Linux workstation)
* Lyris software
* RAID Level 1
* Weekly and monthly tape backups
* High bandwidth, multiple redundant Internet connections
* Guaranteed downtime of less than 60 consecutive minutes

With this change, you'll be able to:
* Subscribe and manage your subscription from a Web interface
(or email, as you do now)
* Handle changed email addresses more easily than now
* Read the list through email (as now), the Web (definitely an
option), or through a private newsgroup (probably an option)
* Access a fully-searchable archive (we plan to import the
existing archives as quickly as feasible)
* Access other possible options, such as parallel lists on
related topics (if there are volunteer moderators and funding,
that is! :-))
* Know that this change will be TECHWR-L's long-term home.

FUND IT FOR THE FIRST YEAR
Thanks to your incoming pledges and donations, we are fairly
certain that we will reach the initial goal of $13,000
needed for startup and first-year expenses. If you have not
sent a "Support Commitment" or a "Sponsor Commitment"
but still want to, please do so within the next few days
(to me at ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com), as we are trying to confirm expenses
and funding for a September 1 launch. Our goal is that, through
sponsorships and list/Web site ads, we will not need to ask for
additional donations next year and, instead, have the TECHWR-L
list and site be self-sustaining.

Please note that individual donations are strictly voluntary
and do not change anyone's status as a member of TECHWR-L.
(That is, donating to this TECHWR-L move does not give you
a "get out of jail free" card for not following list rules!)
Also note that corporate sponsorships do not affect a company's
stake or responsibility in the list or site. We are asking
that your donations are a contribution for ensuring that
If you've gotten any value from TECHWR-L--advice, save-your-butt
information, or otherwise--please do chip in.

So, with this message, we are asking that those of you
who have pledged a donation or a sponsorship to go ahead
and mail a check or money order now to:

RayComm, Inc.
510 N. 400 W.
Logan, UT 84321

If you have not sent a pledge and want to donate money
to keep TECHWR-L available, please let us know as soon as
possible or go ahead and mail your donation to us.
If you absolutely cannot send a check in US dollars,
we're arranging for credit card clearing and will have more
information next week we hope. Contact me directly if
you need to use that option (which is relatively
expensive per transaction, BTW).

ACCOUNT FOR FUNDS
We've had some questions as to what will be done with
possible donations received beyond the initial $13,000
required. As we've said before, all donations received
will directly or indirectly support the TECHWR-L list
or site. We may keep the funds in an account to put
toward second-year expenses, unexpected operating costs,
or software enhancements. Or, possibly, we may set up
an internship fund for an intern to help with the Web site.
We don't know yet, in part because our main concern has been
covering the initial $13,000.

Thanks again for your ideas, suggestions, and donations.
We'll keep you posted and, in the meantime, feel free
to email us with questions.

Thanks,
Eric and Deborah
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com and debray -at- raycomm -dot- com

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com
UNIX Visual QuickStart Guide is "a superb book!"
Don't believe it? Check for yourself!
Find out more at http://www.raycomm.com/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=