Re: Canadian French advice?

Subject: Re: Canadian French advice?
From: Susana Rosende <SRosende -at- THEFUND -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:08:42 -0400

When I did translation (English-Spanish) we used Globalink software to
"speed up the process." But, then, we had to go back to the doc and clean it
all up! For example, a bank branch was translated as "rama" which is a tree
branch, instead of "sucursal," which is a company or office branch.

The truth is, you cannot translate "word for word" either, if you want to
make sense to the user. In my experience, translation is writing from
scratch.

Also, I always tested the software against the English doc, and often found
mistakes, requiring rewrites in the English doc! Translation is a very
time-consuming process. My employer at the time didn't realize what a
complex task it was.

Good luck to you!

Susana Maria Rosende
Senior Technical Writer