Re: Index marking in Word

Subject: Re: Index marking in Word
From: Kathleen Frost <frostdoc -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:44:57 -0400

>From Catheryn Mason:
>>One caveat: in order to get my index to output as I want it to, I
>>do not use Insert --> Index and Tables, but instead use Insert --> Field
and
>>build the index from there using the Options sub-menu. In general, my
>>feedback on using Word's indexing feature is positive.

I agree. I have used Word exclusively for over 12 years and like the
indexing. Like others, I enjoy creating indexes, good ones, because I've
had to struggle through learning new applications too many times with poor
ones. As for the poor ones, I usually drop a tactful note to the company
and tell them that I did not find it complete enough to be useful. (If it's
a very small company, I offer my freelance services to create a new one.)

My index trick is to create one blank regular index entry and one blank See
index entry. I highlight them one at a time and create an autotext entry
for each one, naming it something simple, like "XE" and "XES". Then I can
just copy the text I want, place my cursor where I want the entry, type XE
and hit F3. Just paste the text in and go on to the next one.

Note: In Word '97, there is a new Concordance feature where you basically
make a list of the terms you want in the index and it finds them and marks
them for you.

Good luck.

Kathy Frost
FrostDoc -at- Earthlink -dot- Net