Re: verb to use with plural in parentheses

Subject: Re: verb to use with plural in parentheses
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:36:00 -0400

Hallo:

Here goes:

1. I try to avoid (s) construction. Indeed, I do avoid it. I default to the
plural, if there's doubt. If I were answering the question as is, I'd use
the plural verb.

2. In my industry, software for PCs and software for industrial machinery, I
would not use such a sentence. If it were necessary to tell the reader that
the only thing installing an application accomplishes is the installation
itself, I'd write a step akin to this:

"Exit all applications before starting the installation. While installing
the application, no other processes can be done. Only after you finish the
installation, can you be productive again."

I see such information as redundant for my audiences, however.

3. The meaning of the example is not clear.

What I think the example means is that while the installation process is
ongoing, regular machine/application functions cannot be done.

What the example might mean (and how I initially read it) is that you are
installing an application that will not permit you to be productive until
after that application is uninstalled. For example, you are installing an
application that will do a lengthy diagnosis check of the system. While that
application is installed, the machine will be "down." Only after you
uninstall the application will the machine be able to resume normal
function.

Hope this helps.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com