Re: Portfolios and writing samples...a little more

Subject: Re: Portfolios and writing samples...a little more
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:49:38 -0400

At 02:56 PM 8/10/99 -0400, "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM> wrote:
(lots of snips)
>Okay, so if I wrote "Running Away from Word Processor 99," it makes little
>sense that I cannot bring it to the interview but I can say, "If you want
>see my portfolio, you must surf over to amazon.com and pay $30 to order my
>protfolio."

Mark Baker expressed a similar view - the idea that once a
document it published, unless it's proprietary it is publically available
and you can show it to anyone you want.

But I wonder (I'm not a lawyer; I don't know) about material that is
published but *not* publically available. If you want one of the manuals
I produce, you have to buy our company's product. You can't walk into
your local bookstore or surf over to Amazon.com and pick up a copy
of the RRI OCRepair User's Guide. You can't even get it off our web
site unless you have a password. It is licensed with the product. And
since I did *not* buy the product, I don't think I'm legally entitled to a
copy of the documentation, even though I wrote it. Simply taking a copy
with me without permission would, I think, be stealing.

And interestingly enough, I am in the process of changing jobs and
did just ask my employer if I could take copies. He said yes, but
with the caveat that I cannot *leave* the document with a new
perspective client - which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Marie

Marie C. Paretti, PhD
Manager, Technical Communications
Recognition Research, Inc. (RRI)