Protecting the server?

Subject: Protecting the server?
From: Geoff Hart <Geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:05:06 -0400

Kevin McGowan has to <<...document a dangerous software
procedure, and want to come up with a title that will
sufficiently frighten the user. Basically, this is a software
application, and only the system administrator can perform
this function, and he/she must do it VERY CAREFULLY.
Something like "F---ing with the server" comes to mind, but
is a little too strong and potentially offensive.>>

My first thought would be something like "How to destroy
the server during routine maintenance so you can spend the
next day reinstalling it." That'll get their attention! <g>

Seriously, though, I suggest you reconsider your audience
before choosing a wording: If only a system administrator
will do the procedure, I think you're being unnecessarily
cautious; most of these people have spent enough time
rebuilding servers after they slipped up that they approach
any such tasks with appropriate caution. Any wording that
suggests they don't know the perils of <ahem> mucking
about with the server would probably be construed as
insulting. That being the case, the correct and appropriate title
would be one that describes whatever the activity is (e.g.,
"reinstalling the server software"), followed immediately by a
cautionary note that explains the top three (ten? 100?) ways
they can destroy their server (and the precautions required to
avoid each way).

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Perhaps there is something deep and profound behind all those sevens,
something just calling out for us to discover it. But I
suspect that it is only a pernicious, Pythagorean coincidence." George
Miller, "The Magical Number Seven" (1956)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=