Re: Seeking employment advice

Subject: Re: Seeking employment advice
From: Andy Dugas <adugas -at- NAVIS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:16:01 -0800

James:

I think it is simply a matter of distance. As one respondent said,
there are just too many qualified candidates closer to home. You may
just have to make a leap of faith, trusting that your skill set is
marketable enough to get you in the door fast. Hopefully you have
some resources (savings, family, place to stay) to get you through.

I can suggest one approach that worked for me, though the industry
and country were different. Some years ago I moved to Brazil. Prior
to the move, I sent resumes and cover letters to every possible
employer in my field in that city. The thrust of the message was that
I would be in town after a certain date and would be contacting them
directly, and hopefully they had a position available.

Of about ten, two wrote back. One said sorry, nothing available, and
the other said, please do call us when you arrive. I wound up working
for them. Granted, it was not my best employment experience, but it
helped us land in a new (to me) country.

In other words, I think it's a good idea to get your name out there.
Then, when you arrive, hopefully you can match up job postings with
the companies you blanketed with resumes.

Hope this helps.

Andy Dugas

PS: Many Japanese companies have US offices or subsidiaries. Any
chance you could interview for a stateside position directly from the
home office?

==================================
At 2:57 PM +0900 8/10/99, James Hoadley wrote:

Hi everybody.

I've been working as a technical editor at a Japanese electronics company
for the last two years, and I've been seriously considering returning home
to the US. This spring I sent off a large number of resume's but received
almost no response. It seems like the fact that I live overseas is a major
stumbling block, although it could be something else.

I've been working as a technical editor, not a writer, and what exactly my
responsibilities are depend on whom you ask. I've done everything from
simple proofreading to hard-core rewriting, editing and even translation.
I've been primarily responsible for the development and implementation of a
selection and evaluation system for outsourced documentation. I've even
received an award for co-developing an online reference system.

I do not have any degree related to Technical Writing. I have taken a few
online courses related to Computer Networking.
My current company will pay my expenses to move back to the US if I quit.
Our office uses FrameMaker for writing and proofreading.

Can anyone offer me some suggestions on how to improve my job hunt?

TIA,
Jim

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=