Re: help with a strong word

Subject: Re: help with a strong word
From: Chuck <writer -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:47:20 -0700

Kevin,

My response would depend on what you mean by "dangerous." Life
threatening? Equipment damaging? Data loss? Critical data loss?
Interruption of real-time processing?

I assume that you have established icons to indicate levels of risk
(where is exists), such as the typical "caution," "warning," and
"danger" icons. (Incidentally, "danger" is supposed to be used only for
indicating where there is actually physical risk to the user.)

I would use the appropriate icon along with explanatory text immediately
after the prepositional phrase heading ("To fromfram the jabberwitz:")
and before step 1. If there is a specific, critical,
do-the-wrong-thing-here-and-all-is-lost step, I'd probably add another
appropriate icon with explanatory text.

I note that you say that "only the system administrator can perform this
function." But I'd wager that anyone with the System Administrator role
can do it, whether or not the actual person with that role knows what
they are doing or not. I think that's a critical distinction that should
also be explained.

But you can't say "don't do this"--at least not in the heading--because
it's obviously something that someone will want to do for some reason at
some point. You do have to allow your users to take responsibility for
their own actions. Just tell them what they need to know, tell them that
what they are doing is risky, explain how to complete the procedure
correctly, and move on.

--
"Online help should ignore first-time users and concentrate
on those people who are already successful using the

Chuck Martin
writer"at"best.com www.writeforyou.com

*****LEGAL NOTICE TO ALL BULK E-MAILERS*****

NOTICE TO BULK EMAILERS: Pursuant to US Code, Title 47,
Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any and all nonsolicited
commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a
download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US.
E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=